How to choose the right e-liquid type for your e-cigarette – Liquid IE | Blog – euroeliquid
All eliquids TPD Compliant
30 Flavours - With more coming soon!
Fast Delivery from the UK

How to choose the right e-liquid type for your e-cigarette

How to choose the right e-liquid type for your e-cigarette

How to choose the right e-liquid type for your e-cigarette

When you are new to vaping, choosing the right e-liquid type for your e-cig can be challenging. Compared to smoking cigarettes, e-liquids come in a huge number of flavours and different PG/VG concentrations to suit all tastes and vaping preferences. Whether you prefer fruity, exotic, dessert, drink or tobacco flavours, you will always be able to find the right flavour for you.

But what type of e-liquid works best with your e-cig? Here is everything you need to know.

E-liquid ingredients

Every e-liquid bottle contains 95% Vegetable Glycerin (VG) and Propylene Glycol (PG). The other 5% is flavourings and e-liquid nicotine (optional). Depending on the ratio of one to another, these ingredients give different characteristics to your vape.

Propylene Glycol is used in e-liquids to provide a stronger ‘throat hit’, which many associate with the sensation of smoking traditional cigarettes. As a beginner vaper, choosing an e-liquid with higher PG concentration will make the transition from smoking to vaping smoother, as the sensation is similar to smoking

E-liquids that have a high VG concentration provide a much smoother vape and a more intense flavour. However, this is more suitable for those using a sub-ohm vaping device.

What e-liquid is suitable for my e-cigarette?

In order to answer this question, we first need to analyse the hardware. Today, there are many different types of devices available on the market, some devices take cartridges, other pre filled pods, but the majority come with a tank that must be filled with eliquid, There are two types of e-cigarettes that fall under this category: Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) and Sub-Ohm (Direct Lung) devices.

Mouth-To-Lung (MTL)


As it perfectly mimics the smoking sensation, MTL devices are recommended to smokers because they create a smooth transition into vaping. MTL devices are better suited for PG-based e-juices as they provide a throat hit and usually work better with a high nic strength.

Mouth-to-lung tanks use thinner e-liquids, like those comprised of 50% PG; this delivers a pleasant throat hit, as well as a very enjoyable flavour.


Sub- Ohm or Direct Lung Devices represent a very popular choice among experienced vapers.

Using coils with resistances lower than 1.0 ohm, the Sub- Ohm vape devices have larger e-juice flow channels, as well as adjustable airflow and wattage settings, which allows the production of large vape clouds when using HVG e-liquids.

So what type of e-liquid should I use?

Well, depends on the type of e-cigarette you own, as well as the type of vaping experience you prefer.

Different levels of PG and VG offer different vaping experiences.

Use a PG ratio or higher if you are looking to get a throat hit when vaping. Throat hit is a kick at the back of the throat which is provided by a high nicotine strength. This is very similar to the sensation of smoking a cigarette.

Use a high PG e-liquid if you are looking for stealth vaping. High PG e-liquids produce very little vapor, so this way you will be able to keep vaping low key.

Use a high VG e-liquid if you are looking for smooth and intense flavour. It provides a smoother feeling on the throat and, due to its adjustable power, it produces more vapour.

Use a high VG e-liquid if you enjoy big vape clouds. Using a HVG e-liquid allows you to produce big clouds of vapour. Experienced vapers take part in vape competitions which consist of producing dense clouds of vapour, as well as various vape tricks.

Experts claim that it is ideal to start your vaping journey with a Mouth-to-Lung device along with 50/50 PG/VG e-liquids, as they perfectly mimic the smoking experience. However, vaping always comes down to preference and vaping style. If feel like you’ve found the perfect set up for you, then stick with it.

However, keep in mind that there are tank and e-liquid types which work better together. By choosing the right e-liquid for your e-cigarette, you will not only optimise the capabilities of your hardware, but also boost the flavour intensity and the life of your coils.